Confirmation is an important spiritual rite of passage in the lives of young people. At Shepherd, Confirmation is a 3-year program beginning students’ 6th grade year and finishing the first Sunday in May their 8th grade year. You can think of Confirmation Ministry and Middle School Ministry as being the same thing.
Confirmation includes the following components:
- Worship service attendance. We offer traditional worship on Sundays at 8:00 and 10:45 AM and contemporary worship on Saturdays at 6:00 PM. Students will be expected to complete sermon reports on a regular basis.
- Sunday School, 9:30-10:30 AM in the Library where students meet in small groups to walk through specific books of the Bible over the course of three years. These groups are led by adult leaders and attendance is required.
- First Communion classes for 6th graders (and older) with Nick and Pastor Chris during Lent, with First Communion being on Maundy Thursday each year. Find out more about First Communion.
- Catechism Classes for 7th and 8th graders with Pastor Chris. Pastor Chris will cover the Six Chief Parts in 10 classes over the course of two years (5 classes each year). They will be held from 12:00-3:30 PM on specific Sundays. These classes are mandatory and cannot be made up. The class schedule for this year includes:
- September 17, 2017
- October 15, 2017
- November 19, 2017
- January 21, 2018
- March 18, 2018
- Periodic events and retreats that will be open to all middle schoolers, some which may be required for Confirmation students.
- 8th Grade Confirmation Retreat – April 27-28, 2018 – Our 8th Grade Retreat is a 2-day/1-night getaway to write our faith stories that we will later present to the congregation on Confirmation Sunday. This event is required for 8th grade confirmands!
All of these programs will culminate in a Confirmation weekend on the first Sunday of May each year.