We play a lot of games and have a lot of fun, but we’re really here to lead students and families into a life-changing relationship with Jesus. Together, we GATHER in worship, GROW in faith, and GO make disciples. We believe that no one is too messed up that God can’t save them and we believe that no one is so lost that they cannot be forgiven. We’re just a bunch of shameless Jesus freaks who make Sundays seem like Fridays.
If you’re new to Shepherd, we suggest:
- Attend a weekend worship service as a family. We offer traditional worship on Sundays at 8:00 and 10:45 AM and contemporary worship on Saturdays at 6:00 PM.
- Get involved in a regular Bible study like Sunday School (Sunday mornings) or Catalyst (Sunday evening youth group). You can find more about those programs below!
Gather in Worship
We believe that grace is getting what you don’t deserve. We don’t deserve forgiveness of sins and eternal life, but through faith in Jesus, we receive God’s free gift of grace. We grow in our faith by hearing God’s WORD and participating in God’s SACRAMENTS, both of which we experience in worship services.
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” -Ephesians 2:8-9 (ESV)
Worship Services – We want all students to participate in a worship service with their family. We offer traditional worship on Sundays at 8:00 and 10:45 AM and contemporary worship on Saturdays at 6:00 PM.
Baptism – For students who have not yet been baptized, we encourage you to receive this important gift! Find out more about baptism.
Grow in Faith
We believe that faith is a trust relationship with God. God calls us His children and invites us into His family. That means that growing in our relationship with Jesus and with others is vital to our spiritual lives.
“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” -Colossians 2:6-7 (ESV)
Sunday School – Every Sunday morning we meet to dive into God’s Word and study it, not just for information, but also how it applies to our lives. We meet in various locations from 9:30-10:30 AM every Sunday.
- Middle School Class – We meet in the Library and are walking through a 3-year cycle through specific books of the Bible. These classes are required for Confirmation.
- High School Class – We meet in the Youth Room and discuss various topics centered on God’s Word.
Catalyst (on Summer Break, will resume Sept 10) – Every other Sunday evening we gather for food, fun, and friends to play games and gather in small groups. We meet in the Library from 6:00-8:00 PM, high schoolers every 1st and 3rd Sunday, middle schoolers ever 2nd and 4th Sunday.
Catechism Classes – Catechism Classes with Pastor Chris are offered on a periodic basis for students in grades 7 and 8 in Confirmation. These five Catechism classes are mandatory for Confirmation students. Each class takes place on Sunday in the Library from 12:00-3:30 PM, lunch is included.
- September 18, 2016
- October 16, 2016
- November 20, 2016
- January 15, 2017
- March 19, 2017
Camps & Retreats
- Winter Camp – Every January our high schoolers get away for an extended weekend over Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. The purpose of this retreat is to take a break, rest, recharge, and connect with Jesus for a few days. Winter Camp 2017 is January 13-16.
- Summer Camp – Every summer we take a group of students to Camp Eagle for a week. We will be taking our middle school kids for 5 days, July 29-August 2, 2017.
Go Make Disciples
At the end of the accounts of Jesus’ life, He commissions His disciples to go and make more disciples. We help others meet Jesus and grow in a relationship with Jesus with our words and actions. We share our stories of life change and we love others through service.
“You are the light of the world… Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” -Matthew 5:13a, 16 (ESV)
Student Leadership Teams – There are plenty of opportunities for students to get involved and help lead different ministries.
- Catalyst Team – High schoolers and middle schoolers help plan and run our weekly Sunday evening program.
- Shepherd in a Minute Production Team – As a part of our drama ministry, students help film, edit, and produce our weekly video announcements for church.
- VBS Crew – High schoolers and middle schoolers help lead our VBS program for our Children’s Ministry.
- Ushers and Hosts
- Communion Helpers and Acolytes
Confirmation SHAPE Projects – Every year our 7th grade Confirmation students put together a SHAPE project that talks about the unique ways that God shaped them. We present these projects on Confirmation Sunday.
- High School Mission Trip, Summer 2017 – Los Angeles, California
- Summer Serve, Summer 2017 – Every year, local LCMS churches run a weekend service event for middle schoolers in and around San Antonio. This event is required for Confirmation students.
Contact: Nick Arnold, Director of Student Ministry
Change of Date for Confirmation Orientation 9:30 am
Change of Date for Confirmation Orientation
Sep 3 @ 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Confirmation Orientation is Sunday, September 3, 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the school library for students and parents. Confirmation is an important spiritual rite of passage in the lives of young people. At Shepherd, Confirmation is a 3-year program beginning students’ 6th grade year and finishing the first Sunday in May their 8th grade year. REGISTER HERE FOR CONFIRMATIONShare this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
Student Ministry Sunday School 9:30 am
Student Ministry Sunday School
Sep 3 @ 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Join us for a morning of Bible study and group discussion! Middle schoolers and high schoolers (grades 6 – 12) are invited to join us in age-specific small groups every Sunday from 9:30 – 10:30 AM. Middle schoolers meet in the School Library (downstairs in the tan brick building) and high schoolers meet in the Youth Room (upstairs in the church, white stone building).Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
Catechism Class w/Pastor Chris 12:00 pm
Catechism Class w/Pastor Chris
Sep 17 @ 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Catechism Class w/Pastor Chris in the Youth RoomShare this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
High School Pizza and The Word 12:00 pm
High School Pizza and The Word
Sep 17 @ 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
High School Pizza and the Word is Sunday, High schoolers are invited to grab pizza and crack open God’s word as we talk about life and the beginning of the new school year. Pizza and the Word will meet every first and third Sunday of the month in the library. Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
Middle School Catalyst 6:00 pm
Middle School Catalyst
Sep 24 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Middle School Catalyst will meet in the school library on Sunday, Sept. 24, 6-8 p.m. We’ll hang out, play games, have some snack, and crack open God’s Word. Catalyst will be held every second and fourth Sunday of the month. Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrint